Re: Isn't it time for a reliable run-everywhere Palm Desktop+HotSync?

  • Subject: Re: Isn't it time for a reliable run-everywhere Palm Desktop+HotSync?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 08:54:02 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot
__/ [ Luc Le Blanc ] on Tuesday 23 May 2006 02:43 \__

> When I bought my T3, I was never able to sync it with the Palm Desktop
> on my Win98 box, even though that PC could already sync my previous Clié
> and my girlfriend's Clié (both USB). Since I never succeeded installing
> the T3 CD on the Win98 box, I had to install everything on my XP laptop
> instead. But when I was given a boxful of used Palms, friends to whom I
> gave m130's had lots of problem syncing with their XP boxes and the most
> recent Desktop available on Palm's Web site (even though one of them
> used to sync his m105 fine); in fact, they've been regularly
> re-installing ever since, as thinks work on and off. And a friend just
> told me his TX had suddenly stopped syncing on his XP box and he now
> thinks he has to re-install everything. Yet another friend bought a
> IIIxe on eBay, but hasn't been able to install its CD at all!
>
> Isn't it time Palm cleans up its act and provides us with a reliable,
> fail-safe Palm Desktop that properly runs on all Windows versions? And
> given they only publish one single version, supposedly suitable for all
> device models, shouldn't they actually test it on various devices? And
> if they think it's Windows' fault that it loses the USB drivers over
> time (I've seen that for my printer and GPS), maybe a simple "re-install
> driver" button would be a good idea.
>
> After all, the Palm OS on the device is just one part of the equation;
> if you can't even back up your device, what good is it? I personally
> have a hard time coaxing new people into the "Palm economy" when I think
> of the Palm Desktop/HotSync miseries I'm taking them into...

No missing syncs over here. I use KPilot and, in the past, I used to be using
GPilot without any issues. The problem may be with Windows' handling of
ports and drivers, so you are urged to explore platforms that integrate
better with your handheld. Speaking of which, it is a commonly-voiced fact
that Windows Mobile devices do not integrate and communicate too well with
Windows, either. Linux can do both just fine.

As regards Vista, it is said to have no Palm support (not 'out of the box'),
which led to some rants last year. And, for what it's worth:

http://www.technologyevangelist.com/2006/05/ubuntu_linux_dapper.html

,----[ Quote ]
| To be perfectly fair to Ubuntu I had also played with a copy of Vista
| beta. My sound card was not found, the ethernet adapter was not found,
| and my graphics has severe issues. So all in all the Ubuntu beta is
| ahead of Vista right now.
`----

All in all, don't be rushed to blame Palm. There is more than just one side
in this 'relationship'. Bad Palm compatibility in Windows is the interests
of Microsoft, who are hoping to take over the mobile computing market. I
rarely, if ever, read about syncronisation issues in Mac OS X.

Best wishes,