Re: [News] Linux on Old Laptops

  • Subject: Re: [News] Linux on Old Laptops
  • From: The Ghost In The Machine <ewill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 16:00:07 GMT
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Sat, 20 May 2006 06:50:29 +0100
<2582724.oOofYBkyl8@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> __/ [ The Ghost In The Machine ] on Friday 19 May 2006 20:00 \__
>
>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Roy Schestowitz
>> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>  wrote
>> on Fri, 19 May 2006 17:50:45 +0100
>> <2262082.6Ry3SQqKy9@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>>> A Linux Distribution for an Old Laptop
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> `----
>>>

> http://www.linuxforums.org/desktop/a_linux_distribution_for_an_old_laptop.html
>>
>> A few observations.
>>
>> [1] How old is a laptop if it runs WinXP [*]? :-)  10 GB,
>> 800 MHz Celeron, 128MB RAM is admittedly a bit behind the
>> times, but not that far behind; I've got older desktops
>> (my current server system for instance is a 400 MHz Pentium
>> III w/320MB; my "power game machine" is a 1.4 GHz Athlon
>> w/512MB).
>>
>> [2] He likes Gentoo (8/10).  :-)  Granted, he had issues,
>> but then laptops apparently always have issues.
>>
>> [3] He did not like Fedora (2/10) and Ubuntu/Kubuntu
>> (3/10), for much the same reason; their installers
>> didn't have a basic check for disk space.  (Neither does
>> Gentoo, but at least the Gentoo Handbook warned him,
>> apparently. :-) )
>>
>> [4] OpenSUSE/YAST (8/10) liked his wireless card, and now
>> supports the Linux Standard Base.
>>
>> [5] Vector(6/10), a Slackware derivative, worked reasonably
>> well, except that the LILO file generation apparently gave
>> his system a minor headache.
>>
>> He went with Gentoo (presumably mostly because he could
>> support the laptop from his existing Gentoo server),
>> but OpenSUSE was a very strong contender.
>

> You must have been very pleased when you read this. I never
> thought of Gentoo as a prominent contender, but more of a
> ricer's choice (due to stereotypes, of course).

It is pleasing to see that Gentoo can at least make the
top 5.  And in this case it even made the top 2. :-)

I've not kept up on the newer installation disks,
admittedly, though my Kayak is running low on disk space
(6.5 GB disk with Windows on it).  I'm going to have to
find me another disk to put in there at some point. :-)

>> All in all, a balanced article.
>>
>> [*] OK, "run" might be a bit strong in this context.  Maybe "crawl",
>> "slither", or "limp" would have been better choices. :-)  I don't
>> see Vista in this laptop's future, though -- not with 10 GB of
>> hard drive space.
>

> The minimum is 15 GB, if I recall correctly.

Yeah but look at the advantages Vista gives you!

- The Microsoft Windows Official Brand Name(tm).
- Erm....AFAICT that's about it.

:-)

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Windows Vista.  Because it's time to refresh your hardware.  Trust us.