Re: [News] Microsoft Page Does Not Support IE

  • Subject: Re: [News] Microsoft Page Does Not Support IE
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 17:09:59 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ The Ghost In The Machine ] on Monday 22 May 2006 17:00 \__

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Roy Schestowitz
> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>  wrote
> on Sat, 20 May 2006 18:33:17 +0100
> <1204329.N5hPo1VJM5@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> ...but supports Firefox. "Pop on over to this Microsoft Support forum
>> thread and you'll find that it works perfectly in Firefox and Mozilla but
>> fails to work properly in Internet Explorer."
>>
>>                         http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=31838
>>
>> Reminds me of:
>>
>> http:// connect. microsoft .com /Styles/GeneralStyles.css
>>
>> [File already modified to hide the nasty evidence]
>>
>> ,----[ From Digg ]
>> | The first line in the .css is commented "fix for the IE 1px-off margin
>> | error", followed by a value called ".StupidIEMarginHack "
>> `----
>
> It's definitely missing a scroll bar in IE.  This does look rather odd.
> :-)

They  should have just bought Opera, but that would have led them to  loss
of their pride (as if they even had any).

Now,  more  seriously, it becomes clear that even Microsoft employees  are
finding  Internet  Explorer  rather obnoxious. Standards expert  say  that
Internet  Explorer 7 is still grossly adverse to standards. Not only  will
it  be  full  of  security-driven nags, but it will  also  have  appalling
support  for standards. This leads Web developers to loss of income  (time
wasted writing hacks).

Apart  from stealing the Opera UI, I have no clue what its developers have
been  doing  for the past 17 months or so. Oh, yeah... anti-Phishing  menu
items  and some CSS improvements. Maybe Internet Explorer 10 will  finally
get  there...  progress  is  held  back by the  many  security  holes  and
backward-compatibility  in  rendering (i.e. pages that worked okay in  IE6
break  in  IE7,  as well as vice versa). It tends to happen  when  you  go
against  the  specification  (standards),  later to  rectify  things  only
partially.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Proprietary cripples communication
  5:00pm  up 24 days 23:39,  11 users,  load average: 1.66, 1.16, 0.98