Re: Linux on Old Laptops

  • Subject: Re: Linux on Old Laptops
  • From: Ray Ingles <sorceror@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 22 May 2006 11:00:00 -0400
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
On 2006-05-20, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I  guess  it  will make a good driver for a  nice  digital  LCD-in-a-frame
> around  the  house. Maybe a slideshow or a front-end at the  kitchen...  I
> don't  know...  even  a music player... unless you need a server  of  some
> sort.  Getting things working is one thing, but finding a suitable purpose
> is  another  perplexing step, IMO. I have a desktop machine with the  same
> specs as yours (P166MMX), but it remains in storage.

 I'm planning on using it for a bit of websurfing and other such things.
I've got a wireless card and I should be able to use it in most places
in the house. My harware needs are modest, and especially with some
remote access so the heavy stuff is running on a beefier machine I think
it should work pretty well.

--
 Sincerely,

 Ray Ingles                                            (313) 227-2317

 "...we could be safer from terrorism - perhaps - if we permanently
 evacuated all the high-rise office towers, if we closed down the
 subways, if we forever grounded all airplanes.

 Yet no reasonable person would be likely to argue for adopting such
 measures. We'd say, 'We want to be safe, yes -- but not at the price
 of sacrificing our whole way of life.' The same reasoning should
 apply, in my view, to arguments that privacy should indiscriminately
 be sacrificed on the altar of enhanced security."
         -  George Radwanski, Privacy Commissioner of Canada
        http://www.privcom.gc.ca/information/ar/02_04_10_e.asp