Re: Online banking survey

__/ [ Chris ] on Monday 22 May 2006 09:56 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>> NatWest refuse access if I use the user agent switcher in Firefox.
>> That sort of sniffing is of course always frowned upon.
>
> That seems surprising as they support FF by default.

True, but there remained an ambiguity in my sentence -- one that I can
immediately spot now. If I use Firefox, but pretend to be, let us say, "Lego
browser", I will be refused access. All unknowns are excluded prejudicely,
even if simply forged.

>> But it could
>> be worse. Some banks will permit access only to IE. Seen it before...
>
> Care to elaborate? I've not experienced any personal banking limited to
> only IE. The consensus seems to be that all the major banks work with
> at least FF if not Konq or Lynx et al...

Yes, but in other countries, the adoption of simple concepts and security is
lagging. I can recall the days when NatWest OnLine Banking (which oddly
enough is hosted on Bank of Scotland, according to Netscraft) supported
nothing but IE.

__/ [ Graham Murray ] on Monday 22 May 2006 11:02 \__

> While it is not exactly personal banking, Marbles does not work with
> FF (at least for paying the bill) as it complains that you have used
> the 'back' or 'refresh' button when simply clicking on some of the
> links. However it works perfectly in Konqueror.

Another issue worth introducing is support (or lack thereof) for the basic
notion which is tabbed browsing. Sometimes, it would be nice to multitask
when something as slow as https (SSL) is involved.