Re: Upper case - lower case different for you?

  • Subject: Re: Upper case - lower case different for you?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 May 2006 05:56:17 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.internet.search-engines
__/ [ Paul B ] on Sunday 21 May 2006 00:44 \__

> On Sat, 20 May 2006 21:51:48 +0100, "T.J." <no1@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

>>"Paul B" <lamewolf2004@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

>>> Not tried, but what sounds like is happening is, when you refresh, you
>>> are hitting a different DC. And the DC's are rarely in sync.

Just dive into a specific IP address, e.g.: 64.233.183.103

where I see the following:

Saving each SERP as a page (search.html and search2.html)

-rw-r--r--    1 roy      users      144592 2006-05-21 05:53 search.htm
-rw-r--r--    1 roy      users      144508 2006-05-21 05:54 search2.html

Taking the diff(erence) of the two gives me a big mess that I can't
interpret, let alone paste here (it's a beast!).

>>That is what I thought at first, but it is doing it every
>>time. Strangely it is only doing it in IE and not in FF
>>Makes me wonder if it is cache related

Could be cookie-related, as well. Google filed a patent (*gasp*) for
cookie-based delivery of results some months ago. Whether they are using it,
I can't tell. The datacentres can somehow mask its effect or existence. The
gist of it: search for a lot of stuff on biology and then get results for
'bullfrog' that are not related to the company which goes by that name.

> If it is only doing it with one type of browser, then an educated
> guess would be the cache and how each browser handles it.

That's very probably as well.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "How do I set my laser printer on stun?"
  5:45am  up 23 days 12:42,  11 users,  load average: 0.05, 0.49, 0.71