Re: [News] Novell to Improve SUSE Driver Updates

__/ [ BearItAll ] on Wednesday 31 May 2006 09:14 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Novell hastens driver updates
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Linux giant Novell is to speed up the development and distribution of
>> | new and updated device drivers for its Suse Linux Enterprise products.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.itweek.co.uk/itweek/news/2157155/novell-hastens-driver-updates
>
> I know this should be a good thing, but sometimes you read something meant
> to be good and feel a warning tingle at the back of your neck. Too much in
> this can go wrong and potentially in a disasterous way.
>
> The current driver update system is tried and tested. It has room for
> improvement and could certainly do with a speed boost.
>
> But Suse goes to the home site, sees they is a kernel update, nips off to
> developer sites, which could potentialy be a lot of sites, to pick up the
> updates from there too. It doesn't feel right.

The way many people may see it, there is plenty of time until SuSE 10.2 is
released (later in 2006 or beginning of 2007, i.e. /before/ another
ever-delayed rival). It is unlikely that Novell will allow anything to break
as there is little or no room for mistakes. The OpenSUSE community will
assist on-the-ground testing beforehand. Previous news from Novell spoke of
some "process that solves Linux device driver problems" <
http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/060517/sfw026.html?.v=53 > and, more latterly,
there came *this*:

Driver development kit released for new Linux programmers

,----[ Quote ]
| Kernel developer Greg Kroah-Hartman announced the release of a Linux
| device driver development kit (DDK) on Wednesday, consisting of a CD
| image containing everything a device driver author needs in order to
| create Linux drivers.
`----

http://trends.newsforge.com/trends/06/05/25/2127225.shtml?tid=138&tid=140&tid=9

There are also sites that illustrate how simple it is to write your own
device drivers. Existing users do it and share/contribute the fruits of
their work. This, among many other factors, is why the user base accelerates
Linux adoption.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | UNIX: Money is a terrible thing to waste
http://Schestowitz.com  |  GNU is Not UNIX  ¦     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
  9:35am  up 33 days 16:07,  8 users,  load average: 0.58, 0.86, 0.85