Re: [News] Flash Player 9 for Linux

begin  oe_protect.scr
Handover Phist <jason@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
> Roy Schestowitz :
>> __/ [ Handover Phist ] on Sunday 28 May 2006 00:40 \__
>>
>>> Roy Schestowitz :

>>> Bout frickin time!
>>
>> Before the Macromedia-Abode takeover, that used to Acrobat Reader that was
>> neglected. As far as I know, Acrobat Reader 6 never existed for Linux and
>
> I didn't much care as gv, ggv, and others covered the field. Flash
> player only has flash player. There's no OSS player IFAIK.

Debian has some flash libraries, although I confess to never having
tried them.  The problem with trying to reverse engineer such things is
the moving goalpost thing.  It would be much better if the language were
not locked-down.  I suspect that as Linux continues to grow in usage,
then such proprietary formats will either have to become open or will
disappear, to be replaced with something standard and at least more
open.  Perhaps Java would be a better bet for the time being?

The seven year itch comes from fooling around during the fourth, fifth,
and sixth years.