Re: [News] Wine Marks the Tipping Point for Linux Mass Adoption?

__/ [ Sinister Midget ] on Tuesday 30 May 2006 07:53 \__

http://linuxhelp.blogspot.com/2006/05/wine-open-source-project-which-could.html

> It's not the first time that's been done, though. I forget the program
> now, but there was a graphics package from a fairly well known company.
> It was a download and install. It was nothing more than WINE running a
> Windows binary.

Are you thinking about FSpot on Mono (.NET)? Well, they don't have the
publicity channels that Google have fortunately (for them) got. May be the
same with Beagle vs. Google Desktop.

> I recall there being others, too, though I'm even shorter on details
> for those.
>
> I never was much interested in most of those anyway. I've always
> preferred native if possible and proprietary if I have to (like IE).

I do too. I gave Picasa a quick spin, browsing all the features and menus.
But I still prefer Gwenview! Quicker, less bloated, and far more properly
integrated. Picasa, much like these suites from HP /et al/ (scanning
software in particular) remind me of what has happened to iTunes and other
overly-bloated garbage that needs a 2GHz+ processor and many lumps of RAM.
They should have embraced the plug-in methodology, much like AmaroK,
WordPress, and Firefox. Unlike, for example......... PHP-Nuke.

Picasa for Linux... proof of concept. Thanks for the 100+ Wine patches
though.

Looking forward to a play with native Google Earth (it's OpenGL and
QT-based),

Roy S. Schestowitz
  7:55am  up 32 days 14:27,  8 users,  load average: 0.17, 0.77, 1.05