Re: [News] Commercial Wikipedia from Microsoft?

__/ [ Philip ] on Tuesday 30 May 2006 04:42 \__

http://neosmart.net.nyud.net:8080/blog/archives/176

http://fishbowl.pastiche.org/2005/12/20/wikipedia_vs_britannica_apples_vs_oranges

http://news.com.com/Study+Wikipedia+as+accurate+as+Britannica/2100-1038_3-5997332.html

> All this from a quick google search

The Britannica-Wikipedia survey was said to be ill-conducted. It could have
been FUD -- even one that was supported under the table. The referees were
not accounting for article _scale_, which is often greater in Wikipedia.
They only counted inaccuracies and mistakes. Wikipedia had a strong
rebuttal, and mind you, they continue to improve all the time, as more
Wikipedians join the 'team' and technology (e.g. for moderation) is improved
by MediaWiki. Britannica, along with other commercially-motivated teams, are
fighting a losing battle. They are also less readily available. My search
bar in Firefox is Wikipedia.

Evolve or die.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    #00ff00 Day - Basket Case
http://Schestowitz.com  |  GNU is Not UNIX  ¦     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
  6:50am  up 32 days 13:22,  8 users,  load average: 0.82, 0.72, 0.84