Re: Linux Gets Boost in Indian Supply Chain

__/ [ Chirag Shukla ] on Tuesday 30 May 2006 05:13 \__

> rapskat wrote:
>> On Mon, 29 May 2006 19:09:49 -0700, Chirag Shukla wrote:
>>
>> > Oh yes. Red Hat is going strong in India, especially at the server
>> > level. Several business are now moving into using Linux. Some young CS
>> > students/users are switching to Linux altogether also. However, its
>> > very easy to get CDs of other OSes that makes regular users work on
>> > dominant OSes. Bandwidth still remains a problem. Therefore downloading
>> > an ISO remains out of question for several prospective desktop Linux
>> > users. Most users that get Linux CDs get older versions that not
>> > necessarily work the best on their machines. One of my cousins was
>> > frustrated with Linux (RH8) until I sent him FC3 and an old Mandrake
>> > 9.3 (I think) CD.
>>
>> I'm not sure of the logistics of it, but if you need any assistance
>> mastering and/or distributing Linux distro discs in quantity, I would be
>> willing to help out.
>
> Developers/administrators in India are really sharp. There are several
> guys in India that do exceptionally well with all OSes. So I wont worry
> about folks back in India mastering Linux. Distribution is what I plan
> to do myself once I get to talk to computer assemblers in known areas.
> Sure, if I need assistance, I will get in touch with you. Thanks.

Be sure to have a look at:

http://saselinux.com/

,----[ Quote ]
| No, SASELinux is not a new distribution of Linux nor is it any other OS
| at all rather it is a way for users with limited or no bandwidth of their
| own to get Linux at very little cost to them. Currently to download Linux
| you really need a good high speed line and a day or so to download the
| three or four gigs. So we have set out to change that by mailing what
| ever distribution of Linux you want directly to you!
`----

That's just what it's for.

It you need high quantities, can't afford to have CD's swapped around (an
issues when updating SuSE, for example), or find over-the-network
updates/patches/software to be a burden, also look at:

https://shipit.kubuntu.org/

https://shipit.edubuntu.org/

https://shipit.ubuntu.com/

large quantities and *completely* free.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz
  6:45am  up 32 days 13:17,  8 users,  load average: 0.47, 0.74, 0.92