Re: The 8-Hour Sleep Myth

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
__/ [ helco ] on Friday 26 May 2006 13:13 \__

<sherrybove@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Study: Inadequate sleep linked to weight gain

Those who slept 5 hours or less each night were 32 percent more likely
to gain a significant amount of weight (adding 33 pounds or more) and
15 percent more likely to become obese during 16 years of follow-up
than women who slept 7 hours each night.

This level of weight gain -- or 33 pounds -- is very clinically
significant in terms of risk of diabetes and heart disease
Women who slept 6 hours nightly were 12 percent more likely to
experience major weight gain and 6 percent more likely to become obese
compared with those who slept 7 hours each night.

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

__/ [ normc ] on Wednesday 24 May 2006 19:45 \__

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

I thought that this following new article on sleep would be interesting
some.

http://www.economist.com/intelligentlife/wellbeing/displayStory.cfm?story_id=6909483

,----[ Snippet ]
| But a new, contrarian school of thought is emerging. The eight-hours
| mantra has no more scientific basis than the tooth fairy, says Neil
| Stanley,
| head of sleep research at the Human Psychopharmacology Research Unit
at
| the University of Surrey in Britain. He believes that everyone has
their
| own individual ?sleep need? which can be anywhere between three and
11
| hours. ?If you?re a three-hour-a-night person, you need three; if
you're
| 11, you need 11.? To find out, he says, simply sleep until you wake
| naturally, without the aid of an alarm clock. Feel rested? That?s
your
| sleep need.
`----

From http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/healthnews.php?newsid=43973

Sleep More Important Than Diet For Weight Control

What constitutes a good night's sleep? For this study, the researchers
observed the effect sleeping five or fewer hours regularly has on a
woman's weight over the medium and long term. They compared them to
women who managed to regularly get 7 hours' sleep each night.

That's quite surprising. I would have thought that, since sleep requires less energy (reduced heart pulse rate), this would actually have the adverse effect. According to this study, lack of sleep leads to weight gain...

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz

A few possibilities:

If you're awake more, there's more time to eat.  Since overweight is a
function of eating more calories than you use, you have more time to pile
on the excess calories.

Poor sleep might be connected to poorer physiological regulation in
general.

Poor sleep is often linked to depression, and so is overeating (though
sleeping too much and loss of appetite can also be symptoms).

Ever tried to "energize" yourself (or console yourself) with a snack?

Personally, I don't have weight problems and I don't find that latter study
surprising, either. On the one hand, the body burns more energy when awake,
but on the other hand, there is indeed more time for eating. What intrigued
me when I saw this article initially was that sleep duration should be the
choice of any person and people's requirements vary so wildly. I know people
who sleep just 3-4 hours a night.

Once you understand 'sleep' and sleep apnea, you realize that laying in bed in an unconscious state, with eyes closed, unaware of what is going on around you, doesn't necessarily mean you are asleep. It's the state of the brain that determines whether you are asleep and getting quality sleep.

It's quality sleep that counts. Just being in bed 'asleep' doesn't necessarily do it.

I've found that I feel better with 6 1/2 hr of quality sleep, with my cpap, than 8 hours with no cpap.