Re: [News] Microsoft Bashes Outlook 2007

On Sat, 27 May 2006 16:43:12 -0500,
 Erik Funkenbusch <erik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sat, 27 May 2006 17:09:27 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> I  suspect he uses Outlook 2000. His Webcasts suggest this. In any case, I
>> binned  him. He RSS feed has something buggy, which causes my feeds reader
>> to  crash (take 100% of the CPU capacity to be precise). This has happened
>> 3-4  times already and has been rather disastrous as it affected other JRE
>> applications (notably Firefox and Thunderbirds). Mind you, this RSS reader
>> (RSSOwl)  has  not  crashed  since I started using it  in  2004.  When  it
>> crashes,  items that I read in the sessions will remain marked as  unread,
>> which is a /huge/ pain.
>
> Oh, sure.  Blame him for your crappy software that can't accept a valid
> feed without crashing.
>
> http://feedvalidator.org/check.cgi?url=http%3A%2F%2Fchris.pirillo.com%2Fwp-rss2.php
>
> "Warning This feed is valid, but may cause problems for some users."

funny, following your link led me to the validator, which had this to
say about the pirillo page.

<quote>

Sorry

This feed does not validate.

</quote>

and

<quote>

In addition, this feed has issues that may cause problems for some
users. We recommend fixing these issues.

    *

      Feeds should not be served with the "text/html" media type [help]

</quote>

Stuff like that.

Mind you, a bad feed, shouldn't cause a feedreader to crash, that's a
bug in the reader, but it's pretty obvious that the pirillo rss feed is
either not compliant all the time, or something in feedvalidator is
broken, but the complaints that the validator showed me, were reflected
in the data from the pirillo feed.

Dorothy Parker's reply to her editor who was bugging her for her belated
work while she was on her honeymoon: "Too fucking busy, and vice versa."