Re: Denmark moves toward ODF standard

__/ [ B Gruff ] on Saturday 27 May 2006 20:32 \__

> On Saturday 27 May 2006 13:15 Mark Kent wrote:
>
>> begin  oe_protect.scr
>>> __/ [ nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ] on Friday 26 May 2006 16:26 \__

>>> Well done, Denmark. The world salutes you. Another country that is sure
>>> follow  is  Norway,  unless it has openly expressed this  will
>>> /already/.
>>> Their  President  (or was it PM?) called for the ditching  Office
>>> formats
>>> over  a  year  ago. Good man! One who actually understands  computers
>>> and makes his own judgment...
>>>
>>> The  folks  from  Trolltech and Opera (among others) must  be  making
>>> the
>>> ethical  issues  more  obvious  to the Norwegian  people...  another
>>> such country is Finland. 41%+ Firefox...
>>>

>> It's very excellent news.  The great issue is getting the comprehension
>> of the risks of lock-in over to everyone.  Many people have undoubtably
>> been conned in the past by the 'anti-capitalist' FUD which has been spread
>> by our trolls here and elsewhere.  Once it is pointed out that avoiding
>> lock-in is beneficial to companies, and therefore highly pro-capitalism,
>> then realisation does start to dawn.

I discussed this earlier tonight with the European Free Software Foundation
and I think I might just join them and help at some capacity. There is a
huge gap in mentalities and PM's often seem to have been brainwashed. The
understanding of the benefits of free and open (not price fixing at 0) is
really crucial. Make them realise that it benefits them and they will happily
embrace.

>> As you say, well done Denmark.
>
> You are aware presumably that the French government has now made a "Call
> for Comments" from the public in respect of it's proposal to "do a MA"?:-)
>
> http://www.adele.gouv.fr/article.php3?id_article=1064
>
> It's pretty much the road that MA trod, except that rather than a state of
> the U.S., this is the government of France....

"Do an MA"... *giggle*... I'll make a mental note. Gots to remember that
one... Will Microsoft 'Netscape' ODF by including it in Office and then
extending it?

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Windows O/S: chmod a-x internet; kill -9 internet
 12:15am  up 30 days  6:47,  8 users,  load average: 0.31, 0.71, 1.02