Re: [News] Cringely: Microsoft to Grab Linux Kernel

begin  oe_protect.scr
> Divide and Conquer: The Microsoft/Novell deal is more about disruption than
> cooperation.
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| "The grandest manifestation of this strategy would be to decouple
>| Windows from its kernel and somehow pop the API and other bits right
>| over onto Linux, assuming that would somehow make the product
>| more competitive."
> `----
>
> http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/2006/pulpit_20061110_001188.html
>
> Reminds me of wild advice/speculation that Microsft should pick and compine
> Linux/BSD with WinE and run its applications on a proper kernel. Could Mono
> be a bridge? Oracle and Microsoft and Oracle attempt to change the rules of
> a game that they are clearly set to lose.

Indeed - I've speculated on the very same thing myself, in the past.  In
particular, I think that MS's present Windows-based approach is dead;
it's far too complex, way to insecure, too big, bloated, unreliable,
complex and just generally unmaintainable.

They might get away with porting their apps to another kernel, just like
apple did.  If they were to do so, they'd lose one of their biggest
problems more or less overnight - the total insecurity of their
OS/Kernel.  Unfortunately, I have a horrible feeling that even if MS
were to adopt linux, they'd do everthing in kernel-mode, and thus make
it utterly insecure, too.

Joe's sister puts spaghetti in her shoes!