Re: [News] IBM-sponsored Study Suggests Linux Has Won!

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> The war is over and Linux won
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | A new IBM-sponsored study on Linux sent me by Joe McKendrick, our
> | SOA expert, goes a long way toward explaining the big Oracle and
> | Microsoft moves regarding Linux.
> |
> | The war is over and Linux won.
> `----
>
> http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=837
>
> Last week:
>
> Linux has won -- long live the rest of the indemnified stack
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Welcome to the "Linux Everywhere" world. Microsoft now loves Linux,
> | even if Steve Ballmer wouldn't don a penguin suit.
> |
> | Yes, Linux, I think we can safely say, has won. Oracle wants to get it
> | to you cheap. Microsoft wants to let you choose how to deploy your
> | applications -- on Linux or Windows instances, perhaps on the same
> | machine or blade rack. Intel, AMD, Dell, HP, IBM, Sun -- they all
> | just love Linux.
> `----
>
> http://blogs.zdnet.com/Gardner/index.php?p=2370

And the great thing about all this is that whether its
Oracle's Umm..Brakeable Linux, or Novel Suse Linux,
you can roll your own for your own uses or
go into an establishment and
sell services without having to pay micoshaft money
or any other company money.
Of course as companies become dependent on revenue
streams for their survival, they will inevitably
want to churn out proprietory stuff, but since the
open source community out innovates proprietory stuff
by the minute, it will still be a geekish world full
of new toys all available free. Proprietory stuff
will still be manufactured by the lunatic fringe hoping
to extract money while the bulk of software becomes
free software.