Re: Anonymous COLA Reader Speaks Out and Breaks Myths

Linonut wrote:

The Linux version, acroread, makes OpenOffice look like vi because of
the long time it takes to start up.  And even on Windows, Adobe Reader
takes far too long to load (and tries to hide it with a splash screen).

Yeah, my findings as well. I prefer something like gv to Acroread whenever possible. The only thing is that Acroread has superior font handling, so I almost always tolerate it. On FreeBSD, running under Linux emulation, Acroread doesn't seem to take much time at all to load. Hmm...

I will be using Open Office a lot more. I won't dare try to compile it, though.