Re: Anonymous COLA Reader Speaks Out and Breaks Myths

> One thing the FUD artists on COLA would like to have all believe that
> Windows XP is rock stable and Linux is always crashing.  I got a kick out of
> "Oliver Wong's" accusation that his Ubuntu system crashes constantly (and
> therefore he would like others to conclude that Linux is a failure.)
>
> Yesterday, I had several task crashes on Adobe Professional.  I was printing
> a large 362 page Adobe PDF into another PDF (essentially a save using the
> Adobe print driver) as 2 pages on one 8-1/2" x 11" page, so when I sent it
> to the laser printer, I would only have 91 sheets.  (It is a training manual
> that the training department sent me.  Sometimes they send manuals in PDF
> and let the user print them out instead of supplying in the classroom.)

Adobe Reader does its job well, but it is a bloated beast.

The Linux version, acroread, makes OpenOffice look like vi because of
the long time it takes to start up.  And even on Windows, Adobe Reader
takes far too long to load (and tries to hide it with a splash screen).

> Excel takes about 20 seconds to come up and load a
> spreadsheet.
>
> Excel crashing is a regular occurrence.

Excel is the one MS app I've never had any trouble with.

--
   I had only one nerve left, and -dang- if you didn't git on it!