Re: Why Are Linux Users Afraid OF Vista? What's all this [News] stuff?

Uday Shankar wrote:

> <snip>
> It just makes you look the fool and obviously very worried about the
> release of Vista and what impact it might have on the future of Linux.
> Uday Shankar

Despite the nymshift warning there is a reason to worry about Vista and the
more it is talked about the better.

Many companies will use Vista as a client, its inevitable, but every one of
us has data concerning ourselves held by many companies. For example your
favourite online computer parts store will have your credit card details
ready for your next order.

When Vista comes out our data is even less secure than it was when the
clients were XP. More and more of the companies and establishments that we
all know and trust as security advisors are coming out with reports telling
us how great a risk Vista is to our personal security.

So insecure Vista does concern all of us whether we like it or not. How on
earth are companies going to comply with the data protection act, if they
buy Vista knowing that it has already been compromised and that they is no
security system available at this time forVista, then haven't they
deliberately put their data at risk, making them liable? I would say that
they have.

Just when ISPs are trying their best to make the Internet more secure and
reduce the traffic of spammers, we are going to find it comes to nothing at
all because the client machines are just too weak to make any other
security viable.

Where is the security in secure communications if either end of that tunnel
is vulnerable? Your sales reps might VPN in to work, the traffic of one
system on the traffic of another, what ever the level of encryption you
still just end up with the traffic of one on the traffic of the other, if
your Vista client security is compromised then so is you network. That same
can be true of all secure comms.

Something major has to be done about the Internet already to compensate for
compromised XPs, personnally I like the idea of 100% secure comms an
alternate packet schemes, with all machines registered, so that machines
can be locked out. But without Vista tackling the security problems of it's
predecessors, plus kicking out the companies that might have been able to
provide a wall of security around Vista, none of the possible answers to
Internet security are valid.

Vista is a very bad thing, you will no doubt get a new flashy screen, some
candy to fool the kids, but all of that is only present to hide the pile of
pig sit that its sitting on.