Re: [News] The Digital Tipping Point: Open Source Methodology Can Create Films

<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Tue, 07 Nov 2006 22:59:19 +0000
<3644264.CUemazHi1s@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Can open source methodology make a movie?
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | We all know that open source is being used to help make movies. Linux
> | and open source software have been used in rendering farms for major
> | pictures like Shrek, Lord of the Rings, and many others. Earlier
> | this year the Blender project released Elephants Dream, the first
> | movie made entirely with open source graphics software. But can
> | the open source methodology be used to create a movie? The folks
> | behind The Digital Tipping Point (DTP) are betting it can.
> `----
>
> http://trends.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=06/11/07/2014209&from=rss

I don't know about the methodology or licensing but here's
a very unusual movie.  It's a grade B humor sci-fi thriller
that's (AFAIK) never been out in theaters, because it's
freely downloadable over the Internet.  Then again, it's
possible some theaters have shown it; I don't know.

http://www.starwreck.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wreck:_In_the_Pirkinning
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0472566/

It's an acquired taste.  The special effects are very
impressive.  The plot, well... :-)  It starts off with
toilet paper stuck to the captain's shoe so don't expect
Shakespeare. :-)  But kudos to the Finns for doing it
again. :-)

So now, if one's putting off using Linux one doesn't have
to wait for the movie.  (Though frankly I don't know if
they used Linux to render the movie, or not.)

We'll see what Digital Tipping Point can do.

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Windows Vista.  Because it's time to refresh your hardware.  Trust us.