Re: [News] The Importance of Open Source and ODF to Global Organization

On Sun, 19 Nov 2006 17:17:16 GMT
Robert Newson <ReapNewsB@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
> > Why Free and Open Source Software is important to a global
> > organization
> >
> > ,----[ Quote ]
> > | "Everybody uses Word, why use anything else it just causes
> > trouble".
>
> Because that statement is false:
>
> ``Everybody'' by definition includes me and I do *NOT* use [MS] Word.
>
> In fact, people assuming I do send me Word encoded documents causing
> trouble.  (Is it likely that by using strings(1) to extract the data
> they  wish me to receive I am breaking the DMCA?)

> > | Because by using the Word format you are indirectly forcing people
> > to | either spend money they do not have for MS Word licenses, or
> > you are | encouraging them to steal software from Microsoft by using
> > pirated | copies.
>
> Alternatively, you get a free (liber & gratis) program that can read
> Word  encoded documents, eg OpenOffice...  (I wonder how much that is
> breaking the  DMCA...)

shouldnt worry about it too much. just send them to my friends page:
http://linux.sgms-centre.com/advocacy/no-ms-office.php

i dont think strings would be a problem, since it's not doing any
processing on the document such as decryption, its just extracting
meaningful data as presented in the file with no other action. if you
like, its removing the obscuring data from around it.

--
Regards, Ed                      :: http://s5h.net/u?l
proud unix hacker