Re: [News] Windows 2000 Users Urged to Upgrade (to Linux) or Be Hijacked

Mark Kent wrote:
begin oe_protect.scr John John <audetweld@xxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:

Microsoft issued a security fix, it's now up to users to apply the patch. Don't get me wrong, I don't think that Windows is the next best thing since sliced bread, but I don't think that Microsoft is responsible for individuals and corporations if they refuse to apply the fixes or take other appropriate security measures.

Anyone who's chosen to implement a known massively insecure operating
system in the thousands has already shown a lack of comprehension of
security issues.  Saying that "it's now up to users" rather
misunderstands the whole proposition of Microsoft, which is that their
proprietary, binary-only code is better than the open source
equivalents.  That it's easier to use, that you don't need to be an
expert, and so on.  Apparently, however, you do need to be an expert,
don't you?

Linux and Macs also have security flaws, even if way less than Windows,

About 100,000 fewer viruses, for a start.

would you suggest that after a flaw is discovered and patches are issued that Apple or Some central Linux body should then be held responsible if users don't patch their systems?

Not remotely, but then there's no central linux authority taking cash
from users and promising a "superior experience" or other such nonsense,
is there?

I find it quite unfortunate that all the misinformation out there does absolutely nothing to help the Linux cause, it has the opposite effect.

  If you have a problem with the Inquirer's reporting, why don't you
  take it up with them?

Even in the different Linux news groups the civility of the debates is sometimes all but lost and those who are trying to educate and advance the Linux cause, those dedicate to Linux advocacy, have a tough road to blaze!

Your problem is now with Linux news groups?

The main argument for linux adoption is economic, not technical, and
certainly not about news groups.  The economics of lack of vendor lock-in
are so significant, all other things are unimportant.

My contribution to this group is over. Bye for now...

John