Re: [News] Windows 2000 Users Urged to Upgrade (to Linux) or Be Hijacked

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
__/ [ John John ] on Friday 17 November 2006 15:54 \__

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

Windows 2000 faces security melt down

,----[ Quote ]
| Despite the fact that the operating system is as old as Spinola, and
| that Microsoft refused to service them any more, there is still a
| large number of Windows 2000 machines out there.
| | According to News.com, a "critical" Windows 2000 exploit has been
| released on the Internet designed to kick the crutch of the ageing
| operating system.
| | The exploit takes advantage of a security hole in a file system and
| print request application "Workstation Service". The flaw can be
| exploited remotely without any user interaction.
| | [...]
| | Microsoft has released a patch for the operating system using
| security bulletin MS06-070. This is despite saying that it had
| given up on Windows 2000 and would not make any more security
| ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| fixes for it.
| ^^^^^^^^^^^^

Last year:

,----[ Quote ]
| Use of Microsoft Windows XP has grown inside corporations, but a new
| study shows that nearly half of business PCs are still running the
| older Windows 2000.
`----

http://news.com.com/The+slow+road+to+Windows+XP/2100-1016_3-5746046.html?part=rss&tag=5746046&subj=news

It never ceases to amaze me how some people on both sides of the
Linux/Windows fence are completely ignorant of the facts and go about
propagating lies and misconceptions.  Windows 2000 is in its extended
support phase and Microsoft will issue security fixes for it until
sometimes in 2010.  The Weekly World News is more reliable than your
sources!  http://www.weeklyworldnews.com/intergalactic/

John

Well, this may be true and I'm surprised that The Inquirer got the facts
wrong (or maybe interpreted this reality differently).

Either way, Microsoft had better hurry up and patch those hundreds of
millions of workstation.

'Computer code that exploits a "critical" Windows 2000 vulnerability has been
released on the Internet'

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-6136310.html
The world is burdened by roughly 100 billion SPAM a day /already/ (spewed out
of compromised Windows boxes). I am not sure it is prepared to cope with
much more (an order of magnitude seems foreseeable). I have little or no
sympathy for those whose Windows 2000 gets slow(er) and leaks out personal
data, including that which leads to theft and fraud. The US is said to be
spending $61 billion per year on security (that includes tax money and wages
deductions from that of Mac and Linux users). The US loses around $10 per
year due to viruses and malware. I'd take these published figures with a
grain of salt though.

Best wishes,

Roy

Microsoft issued a security fix, it's now up to users to apply the patch. Don't get me wrong, I don't think that Windows is the next best thing since sliced bread, but I don't think that Microsoft is responsible for individuals and corporations if they refuse to apply the fixes or take other appropriate security measures. Linux and Macs also have security flaws, even if way less than Windows, would you suggest that after a flaw is discovered and patches are issued that Apple or Some central Linux body should then be held responsible if users don't patch their systems?

I find it quite unfortunate that all the misinformation out there does absolutely nothing to help the Linux cause, it has the opposite effect. Even in the different Linux news groups the civility of the debates is sometimes all but lost and those who are trying to educate and advance the Linux cause, those dedicate to Linux advocacy, have a tough road to blaze!

John