Re: [News] Linux Got the Directory/File Hierarchy Right

The Ghost In The Machine <ewill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> did eloquently scribble:
> Define "better".  I'd say it's certainly more logical but
> it's also mired in tradition as well -- why "/bin" and
> "/usr/bin" instead of "C:\Program Files\Executables And
> Scripts" or some such?

1: Drive letters? Pleh
2: What if you wanted to boot without /usr. Or mount /usr with different
options, like read only?

> Still, the Unix file system hierarchy, apart from the
> /etc => /sbin migration [*], has been hashed out over many
> decades, and most of the bugs have been worked out of it
> by now.  /opt, however, can be a bit of a grab bag, as can
> /usr/local -- but in the latter case the sysadmin's the one
> setting it up anyway, generally.  /dev might be slightly
> problematic between operating systems or distributions,
> but Gentoo lets udev do all the work now, and I doubt it's
> the only one.

udev or devfs, I think most distros have defaulted dynamic /dev now rather
than static.

|   spike1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx   |   Windows95 (noun): 32 bit extensions and a    |
|                          | graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit |
|Andrew Halliwell BSc(hons)| operating system originally  coded for a 4 bit |
|            in            |microprocessor, written by a 2 bit company, that|
|     Computer Science     |        can't stand 1 bit of competition.       |