Re: [News] Linux Got the Directory/File Hierarchy Right

<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Mon, 13 Nov 2006 22:00:59 +0000
<1429256.DBdUBT73up@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Why is the linux file hierarchy better?
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | There are many articles around the web about the differences between
> | the windows file hierarchy and the linux one. One thing they don't say
> | is which one is better and why. My aim in this article is to show why
> | the linux file hierarchy is a better model.
> `----
>
> http://blogs.ittoolbox.com/linux/locutus/archives/why-is-the-linux-file-hierarchy-better-12916
> http://tinyurl.com/ylm2ek

Define "better".  I'd say it's certainly more logical but
it's also mired in tradition as well -- why "/bin" and
"/usr/bin" instead of "C:\Program Files\Executables And
Scripts" or some such?

Still, the Unix file system hierarchy, apart from the
/etc => /sbin migration [*], has been hashed out over many
decades, and most of the bugs have been worked out of it
by now.  /opt, however, can be a bit of a grab bag, as can
/usr/local -- but in the latter case the sysadmin's the one
setting it up anyway, generally.  /dev might be slightly
problematic between operating systems or distributions,
but Gentoo lets udev do all the work now, and I doubt it's
the only one.

For completeness' sake, Windows seems to like to put things in
and it's left up to the vendor where things are put.  The libraries
are generally dumped into the system DLL folder (IIRC, that's
"C:\Windows\System32\" though I suspect Vista will change that
after Microsoft magically discovered "DLL Hell".  Settings are
probably put either in the registry (which includes such long-term
settings as locations of important directories and short-term settings
as locations of relatively unimportant windows) or somewhere in
"C:\Documents and Settings\<arbitrary>".

What a [censored] mess.

[*] at this point I'd say that's been worked out, too, though I
don't think the migration started until the mid-90's.  But I'd
have to look.

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Linux.  Because life's too short for a buggy OS.