Re: [News] Microsoft Uses Philantropy in Attempts to Increase Market Share

begin  oe_protect.scr
> Microsoft donates money for every search made on Windows Live Search
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| Sadly for Microsoft, while their intentions are admirable and certainly
>| worth praising, it's doubtful it?ll make any difference to their share of
>| the search world. This move could be seen as a PR effort, trying to raise
>| funds for one of the world's largest charities at the same time as
>| getting their newly re-branded search engine further into the public
>| eye. However, it's more likely to be a hugely wealthy company doings
>| omething kind with the fortune it sits on.
> `----
>
> http://www.techsmessage.com/2006/11/28/microsoft-donates-money-for-every-search-made-on-windows-live-search/
>
> How many countries does Microsoft (and Gates) give money to in order to
> sabotage Linux (/free/ software)? It's like charging money and then
> returning it in order to sustain market share. Same with charities and
> probably even governments (it was Birmingham that was offered a discount
> recently, IIRC).

Newham Council in London had the same treatment not so long back, but I
do recall that their CIO guy is really a windows guy, and I don't think
he was capable of doing anything different.

For office use only.