Re: Microsoft Uses Philantropy in Attempts to Increase Market Share

  • Subject: Re: Microsoft Uses Philantropy in Attempts to Increase Market Share
  • From: "Rex Ballard" <rex.ballard@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 29 Nov 2006 06:42:31 -0800
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> Microsoft donates money for every search made on Windows Live Search
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Sadly for Microsoft, while their intentions are admirable and certainly
> | worth praising, it's doubtful it?ll make any difference to their share of
> | the search world. This move could be seen as a PR effort, trying to raise
> | funds for one of the world's largest charities at the same time as
> | getting their newly re-branded search engine further into the public
> | eye. However, it's more likely to be a hugely wealthy company doings
> | omething kind with the fortune it sits on.
> `----
http://www.techsmessage.com/2006/11/28/microsoft-donates-money-for-every-search-made-on-windows-live-search/

Take a much closer look, they are sending the proceeds to NSPCC
Which is a Political Action Committee.
Looks like Gates' contributions to PAC/Charities of top republicans has
backfired.
Now they want to curry favor with liberals, so the corporation is
funding a
pro "children" PAC.

http://www.nspcc.org.uk/
http://www.nspcc.org.uk/whatwedo/lawpoliciesandprofessionnalpractice/changingthelawpoliciesandprofessionalpractice_wda40209.html

Micrososoft really knows how to roll with the Winner.
Does this mean that Bush will retaliate against Microsoft?

Microsoft isn't "giving away" anything.  They are showing their muscles
in Europe, and their ability to cause ANY outcome they want in ANY
election, anywhere in the world where elections are held.  Microsoft
can get the best politicians money can buy, just look at George Bush :D
 AND John Kerry.

> How many countries does Microsoft (and Gates) give money to in order to
> sabotage Linux (/free/ software)?

How much Microsoft and Gates money is given to "political charities"?

How many of the charities are actually not charities but in fact
politically driven organizations excercising their right to "free
speech"?

> It's like charging money and then
> returning it in order to sustain market share.

I haven't heard of any major political figure going public and saying
that someone from the Gates foundation told them "Buy Microsoft
products exclusively or we'll let 1 million of your children die".
Which is essentially what you are saying if you say "We have the means
to save 1 million of your children every year with simple vaccinations,
which we will pay for.  Of course, these are being paid for from the
profits from Microsoft.  Now how quickly can you convert all
non-microsoft systems back to Microsoft applications and operating
systems?

> Same with charities and
> probably even governments (it was Birmingham that was offered a discount
> recently, IIRC).

Keep in mind that there are many "charities" that are politically
motivated organizations masquarading as 501c corporations.  Focus On
the Family, Planned Parenthood, and AARP are just a few "pet charities"
of politicians who encourage would-be "big dollar contributors" to make
contributions to these organizations who won't "tell you who to vote
for" but will "deliver a message consistent with our own".

Of course, Microsoft isn't the only company that does this, I hear
Enron and MCI were also big contributors. It's been part of the
American political system, probably since John Adams and Thomas
Jefferson ran against each other.