[News] More Analysts Confirm: Microsoft Zune a Non-starter

Analyst: Salespeople Not Recommending Zune

,----[ Quote ]
| A note to investors from Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster said some
| retail salespeople claim to have never heard of Microsoft's Zune,
| despite the fact they sell the player in their store.

Microsoft's Zune Player Not Challenging iPod Sales

,----[ Quote ]
| Financial analysts watching the consumer electronics space report
| that early sales of Microsoft's Zune player should give little reason
| for iPod loyalists and Apple Computer to fear this holiday season.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/pcworld/20061128/tc_pcworld/128032

Some say that the Zune is not an MP3 player. It's part of Vista DRM
experiment and part of the DRM war against Apple and others, which have gone
as far as cellular phones.

Related:

Newly Released Amarok Version 1.4.4 Includes Musicstore

,----[ Quote ]
| The most significant innovation of this version is the integration
| of the Magnatune Musicstore. This allows you to use Amarok to
| listen to songs you are interested in and purchase them in a
| DRM-free format.
`----

http://linux.about.com/b/a/257572.htm

Wizpy Linux based media player

,----[ Quote ]
| Media player wispy from Turbolinux Corporation is a Linux based media
| player. With a 1.7" OLED liquid crystal display and 4GB flash memory
| the media player comes with pre installed Linux system.
`----

http://www.iyiz.com/media-devices/wizpy-linux-based-media-player/

Resurrect Your Old PC for Music--with Linux (Knoppix)

,----[ Quote ]
| Are you the kind of person who can't toss out old gear? I know I
| am--though I must admit that embracing the art of junk-collecting
| has come in handy from time to time. For instance, this article
| will show you how to resurrect a tired old PC by installing a
| modern operating system, and then revitalize the computer as
| an internet-enabled CD player, DVD burner, and MP3 jukebox.
`----

http://digitalmedia.oreilly.com/2005/03/23/linuxmusic.html

iUbi Blue (PMP2500B) popping up at AMP3

,----[ Quote ]
| First of all, there's the 4.3-inch (widescreen), 16.7m
| color TFT LCD. Although we thought the GUI looked a bit
| "blue" during the unit's first stages of development, a
| resolution of 480 x 272 never hurt anyone either. Best
| of all is probably the huge bucket of supported file
| formats: MPEG 1, 2, 4 DivX 3.X, DivX 4.X, DivX 5.X,
| Svid, WMV9, H.264, AVI, OGM, WMV 7, 8, MOV and Real
| video. Need more? Sure, MP3, WMA, WAV, OGG, AC-3,
| ASF, AAC-LC, G.726 for video is also included in the
| package deal. Output resolutions upto 720 x 480
| pixels (@30fps) and output volumes of 32mW per
| channel (via a Wolfson 3D sound chip) bolster the
| 2500B's impressive set of specs.
`----

http://www.dapreview.net/news.php?item.3405.3

There's also the Archos Linux-based PMP, among other Linux-based media
players.