Re: Google Shuts Down Open Source Project

  • Subject: Re: Google Shuts Down Open Source Project
  • From: "Larry Qualig" <lqualig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 28 Nov 2006 09:02:09 -0800
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Hadron Quark wrote:
> flatfish+++ <flatfish@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 06:12:45 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> >
> >> Google has sent a cease and desist.
> >>
> >> gaia - opensource 3D interface to the planet
> >>
> > I'm sure all 3 people using gaia are going to be upset.
> >

> What gets me is the way people think its a bad thing for google to stop
> these clowns stealing all their innovative work.  nice one google : keep
> the nerds away.

What's funny is that if Microsoft had done this, they would once again
be labled here as being the "bad guy" and killing the competition,
being anti-competitive and whatever. But since Google is the one doing
this there are a million-and-one excuses for why it's within their
right to do so.

John Bailo posted this somewhere regarding MS and Google... there
really is *NO* difference between the two companies. They are both out
to maximize their own profits. As are IBM, Novell, Sun, Redhat and
every other public corporation.

The problem is that some people here are so blinded by the happenstance
that Google, Redhat, <insert name here> uses Linux that they wrongly
believe that a company is somehow altruistic.