Re: [News] Amid Changes, Could Windows Vista Be the Last Product of Its Kind?

http://online.wsj.com/public/article/SB116459728069433263-K0zAOblcMz_2rLdWyoLZyUeAYRU_20071127.html?mod=tff_main_tff_top
> http://tinyurl.com/yjngqj
>

> Related:
>
> Windows Vista the last of its kind
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Vista will be the last version of Windows that exists in its current,
> | monolithic form, according to Gartner.
> |
> | Instead, the research firm predicts, Microsoft will be forced to
> | migrate Windows to a modular architecture tied together through
> | hardware-supported virtualisation. "The current, integrated architecture
> | of Microsoft Windows is unsustainable - for enterprises and for
> | Microsoft," wrote Gartner analysts Brian Gammage, Michael Silver and
> | David Mitchell Smith.
> `----
>
> http://www.techworld.com/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=6718

Windows will have to be sorted out eventually, imagine a new team of
programmers being faced with that mass of code. I remember there was a
period when MS Win code was streamlined and as much redundant code as
possible without risk was taken away with some modularization done, if I
remember right it was about late in the Win98 period.

Look at the problems and delays they had when trying for a 64bit system, had
the code been well kept then most of the libs would have only needed a
recompile, paths to code that required altering for 64 bit would have been
obvious for the most part, leaving just minor areas for tidying up
afterwards. In short, it should have been as easy as it was to move Linux
to 64 bit, a recompile with some lib adjustments.

Yes I know we had some problems in that time, but the majority of those
problems came from the mixed code, the need to accomodate 16bit as well as
64bit.