Re: Update: HOAX! [News] Linux Nation Brings Storage Innovation

<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Mon, 27 Nov 2006 17:45:31 +0000
<1524547.qEnVNNjiaG@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> __/ [ The Ghost In The Machine ] on Monday 27 November 2006 16:48 \__
>
>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Jim Richardson
>> <warlock@xxxxxxxxxx>
>>  wrote
>> on Sun, 26 Nov 2006 14:30:36 -0800
>> <c5hp34-tlt.ln1@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

>>> it's amusing that some people actually bought that story. It was
>>> obviously bullshit from the start.
>>>

>> Maybe, but consider this:
>>
>> 5 1/4" disc surface area: 21.647 square inches
>> Paper surface area: 93.5 square inches
>> 5 1/4" total surface area: 108.238 square inches
>>    (assuming 3 platters, 5 surfaces, 1 servo surface)
>>
>> Now, I've seen 500 gigabyte drives on the market.
>> Therefore, 450 GB on paper would be possible, if the paper
>> had the same mirror-shiny surface of a disk platter and the
>> same information density.  The access would be far slower,
>> of course, and the head design would be quite different
>> (can't fly over at slow speeds!) unless someone actually
>> were to *spin* the paper (hmm, what was the name of that
>> painting toy?), which would probably be best done in a
>> more traditional drive format anyway.
>
> Here's a nice video that I watch the other day (somewhere along my 'Linux
> route'):
>
> http://linuxhelp.blogspot.com/2006/11/peep-into-how-compact-discs-are.html
>
> This addresses some of these material properties you were referring to. Hope
> you enjoy it...
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Roy

Hm...interesting.  This throws merry hob to most of
my ideas, since the creation of the master (basically,
a pitted metal disc formed from a photoresist-exposed
glass disc that is fitted into a die/injector) is carefully
described, and the compact discs are formed in the injector
using liquid that quickly hardens into polycarbonate
plastic.  Perfect, to a point, duplicates.

It is far from clear whether they can be serialized afterwards.
Of course I should have suspected something along these lines anyway.

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Windows Vista.  Because a BSOD is just so 20th century; why not
try our new color changing variant?