Re: Update: HOAX! [News] Linux Nation Brings Storage Innovation

__/ [ The Ghost In The Machine ] on Monday 27 November 2006 16:48 \__

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Jim Richardson
> <warlock@xxxxxxxxxx>
>  wrote
> on Sun, 26 Nov 2006 14:30:36 -0800
> <c5hp34-tlt.ln1@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
>>
>> On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 16:43:39 +0000,
>>  Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> __/ [ Gordon ] on Friday 24 November 2006 17:14 \__

>>> Scam of Indian student developing technology to store 450 GB of data on a
>>> sheet of paper
>>>
>>> "This story was first reported by Arab News and later other media outlets
>>> started quoting them.
>>> This shows how technically illiterate the news reporters are.."
>>>
>>> http://itsoup.blogspot.com/2006/11/scam-of-indian-student-developing.html
>>

>> it's amusing that some people actually bought that story. It was
>> obviously bullshit from the start.
>>

> Maybe, but consider this:
>
> 5 1/4" disc surface area: 21.647 square inches
> Paper surface area: 93.5 square inches
> 5 1/4" total surface area: 108.238 square inches
>    (assuming 3 platters, 5 surfaces, 1 servo surface)
>
> Now, I've seen 500 gigabyte drives on the market.
> Therefore, 450 GB on paper would be possible, if the paper
> had the same mirror-shiny surface of a disk platter and the
> same information density.  The access would be far slower,
> of course, and the head design would be quite different
> (can't fly over at slow speeds!) unless someone actually
> were to *spin* the paper (hmm, what was the name of that
> painting toy?), which would probably be best done in a
> more traditional drive format anyway.

Here's a nice video that I watch the other day (somewhere along my 'Linux
route'):

http://linuxhelp.blogspot.com/2006/11/peep-into-how-compact-discs-are.html

This addresses some of these material properties you were referring to. Hope
you enjoy it...

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Windows: backward-compatible, even for viruses
Tasks: 130 total,   1 running, 127 sleeping,   0 stopped,   2 zombie