Re: [News] PlayStation 3 with Linux PREINSTALLED

__/ [ Quantum Leaper ] on Monday 27 November 2006 09:00 \__

http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/store/index.php?submit=hardware&submitimg[hardware][sony]=1

> You forgot...
>
> Delivery date of your PS3   Coming Soon!
>
> At the rate Sony is producing the PS3,  you should be able to get a PS3
> just about when the next consoles from MS and Nintendo are released.

I received this information from a Russian YDL/RH/FC evangelist, whom I
suspect is in cahoot with Kai. He said the PS3's from YDL will be available
_next week_. Don't ask me how...

In any event, about a million PS3's should be ready by Xmas. Let me find a
reference...

Sony punching out PS3s 'smoothly'

,----[ Quote ]
| Sony's PlayStation 3 production lines are "now running smoothly", a
| senior company executive has claimed. The consumer electronics giant
| is "focused on our goal of shipping a million units to retail by the
| end of the calendar year", he added.
`----

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/11/22/ps3_production_going_smoothly/

If they go through the YDL 'pipeline', then you have a helluva lot of Linux
machines out there... not just Linux-ready or Linux-capable, but actual
Linux boxes in an entire family's living room. Also see this...

Strategy Analytics: The Pressure is on Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| Research firm Strategy Analytics claims that with the PS3 now
| launching the pressure is actually on Microsoft to convince
| consumers and loyal PlayStation gamers to "switch camps."
| Ultimately, the firm sees Sony trouncing the competition with
| over 120 million units sold by 2012.
`----  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=14480

Makes you raise a brow, no? Add the possibility of several hundreds of
millions of OLPC units' running Fedora with Sugar. If I add up the numbers,
then predicting half a billion Linux boxes within 3 years seems rational.
It's a realistic but not a conservative estimate. And it /entirely/ excludes
over half a billion machines, some of which will have been converted to
Linux by then. They are all Linux-capable and Linux constantly extends and
improves its compatibility, legacy hardware included.

Finally, let us remind Microsoft that the world won't be stuck or clung on
32-bit and x86 architectures forever. The Sony Playstation has moved on. Sun
has moved on and it is getting closer and closer to Linux (primarily
Canonical) each and every day... GPL'ed Java, GPL'ed Solaris (yet to come
from OpenSolaris), GPL'ed central processing unit... GPL'ed GPU in the
making as well (no affiliation with San Microsystems though). Spaking of
Sun, there's tension between them and IBM for all I can tell. IBM bashed
OpenSolaris in Linux World and IBM was quite angry about the GPL'ing of
Java. But you know what they say, competition/rivalry in industry benefits
the customers. Better quality products, lower prices; all at the expense of
the blood pressure of hard-working engineers and mindless managers.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    while (sig==sig) sig=!sig;
         run-level 5  Oct 18 14:45                   last=S