[News] United Kingdom's Move Toward Free Software in Education, Needs Your Help

UK Parliament considering FOSS in Schools, Universities

,----[ Quote ]
| UK Member of Parliament, John Pugh, has proposed an Early Day Motion on
| FLOSS in schools. One goal is to modernize the purchasing process to
| stop hindering FOSS choices. To-date 19 MPs have already signed it.
|                                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| UK-based people can write to their MP and ask them to sign this motion.
|                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| Writing will help raise FLOSS higher on the agenda and contribute to
| promotion in general.
`----

http://theyworkforyou.com/

Related:

OSC joins criticism of UK education's attitude to open source

,----[ Quote ]
| Open Source Consortium president, Mark Taylor, has been in contact to
| voice its opinion on the controversy surrounding Becta's purchasing
| frameworks and the adoption of open source adoption in UK schools.
|
| In short, it doesn't make happy reading for Becta. "The essence of
| our concern is that they're saying one thing and actually pursuing
| policies that are exclusive," he said. ?Becta?s own research shows there
| are major benefits [with open source], however the reality of the
| framework is that it excludes both products and services."
`----

http://www.businessreviewonline.com/os/archives/2006/11/osc_joins_criti.html

UK MPs question government barriers to open source in schools

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.cbronline.com/article_news.asp?guid=18464D7D-7AAB-4F0D-A09A-18D2E9ED4F5F