Re: [News] Google to Inherit Microsoft's Position?

__/ [ ed ] on Saturday 25 November 2006 19:38 \__

> On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 17:51:09 +0000
>
>> Can Google trump Microsoft?
>
> nice as the question sounds. they're not open in the sense that we'd
> like to see them.
>
> i would rather see msft/goog/ibm/apple/sun to have a divided market.

If you let these 800-pound gorillas fight, they will at least be forced to be
more considerate as far as the customer is concerned. From Google's
presence, I think everyone benefits. Any pressure on Microsoft will prevent
it from continuing the abuse that comes from a monopoly (lack of choice,
inability to issue threat about vendor change). Look at Novell for example.
It's an excellent case study. Since SUSE has virtually no lockins, the
decision to ditch Novell can be light-minded and instantaneous.

How many people do you know who adamantly wish to stay loyal to Microsoft,
get hit by virus infections, and be forced to pay a lot of money for shoddy
software and over-the-top hardware? It's a fortress with shackes on each
side of the wall. One you escape, you will never wish to return.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    #ff0000 Hot Chilli Peppers
Tasks: 157 total,   2 running, 153 sleeping,   0 stopped,   2 zombie