Re: Ms waits till last day to hand over documentation ..

__/ [ High Plains Thumper ] on Thursday 23 November 2006 23:28 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> High Plains Thumper on Thursday

>>> I seriously doubt that would be the case.
>>>
>>> 8,500 pages double sided take up about two feet or 600 mm of shelf space.
>>> Perkin Elmer Pennet programmer's binder certainly did not take up that
>>> amount of space.
>>>
>>> It will be interesting to see what the outcome is.  I am hoping that the
>>> EU does the proper thing.  If the documentation does not adequately
>>> document as revealed through testing, then they take appropriate action.
>>
>> I would /love/ to see them composing that document in Word without
>> slicing. Word scales really badly, so the processor/s would melt and the
>> system collapse.
>>
>> People cannot even write a thesis with that piece of junk that adheres to
>> the wrong paradigm. I have seen people giving up on Word and manually
>> grafting all the content onto something like LaTeX. These scalability
>> issues, well... are endemic... not the case with LaTeX or even a front end
>> like Kile or LyX. I have seen the University replacing very modern
>> clusters because Windows and Office bloatware was too much for Pentium
>> 3/4-generation PC's.
>
> Occasionally an XP client blows up at work and requires rebuild.  Pull out
> the HD and Ghost it, back in business sans client's files.
>
> I am sure the trainspotters will have something else to say, but I gather
> then that Office runs best on thick clients.  Yes, latest versions require
> greater processing resources to run.
>
> Actually, one does not need much for most word processing needs.  I used
> WordStar 3.0 and a daisywheel printer to do my resumes.  Many a project
> status report and manuals I did on WordStar.
>
> AbiWord seems to be an adequate lightweight.  Is your U using AbiWord?

The Linux machines have them, so yes. But these are located selectively in
the technical department. Abiword was my first experience with advanced word
processing under Linux... in 2001 I suspect. I could finally view Word
attachments, which at the time were a common nuisance because there was no
'PDF awareness'.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Life is too short to proofread"
Tasks: 130 total,   2 running, 127 sleeping,   0 stopped,   1 zombie