Re: Ms waits till last day to hand over documentation ..

  • Subject: Re: Ms waits till last day to hand over documentation ..
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2006 17:22:05 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ High Plains Thumper ] on Thursday 23 November 2006 17:06 \__

> Doug Mentohl wrote:
>
>> "Reuters reports that Microsoft has handed over technical documents to
>> the EU in order to enable the competition to make interoperable
>> software .. The deadline for this documentation was today. According
>> to Microsoft, the documentation is over 8500 pages."
>>
>> http://slashdot.org/articles/06/11/23/1448217.shtml
>>
>> By the time the Commision has fully examined all 8500 pages MS can
>> claim the ruling is void due to the delay .. :)
>
> I seriously doubt that would be the case.
>
> 8,500 pages double sided take up about two feet or 600 mm of shelf space.
> Perkin Elmer Pennet programmer's binder certainly did not take up that
> amount of space.
>
> It will be interesting to see what the outcome is.  I am hoping that the EU
> does the proper thing.  If the documentation does not adequately document
> as revealed through testing, then they take appropriate action.

I would /love/ to see them composing that document in Word without slicing.
Word scales really badly, so the processor/s would melt and the system
collapse.

People cannot even write a thesis with that piece of junk that adheres to the
wrong paradigm. I have seen people giving up on Word and manually grafting
all the content onto something like LaTeX. These scalability issues, well...
are endemic... not the case with LaTeX or even a front end like Kile or LyX.
I have seen the University replacing very modern clusters because Windows
and Office bloatware was too much for Pentium 3/4-generation PC's.

Best wishes,

For governments that eavesdrop, here is a quick list of tags: Communism,
Hawaiian shirts, China, Suitcase, Martha Stewart, Encryption, Prison,
Stalin. Thanks for tuning in.