Re: [News] Symbolic Links in Vista - Far Less Than Meets the Eye

  • Subject: Re: [News] Symbolic Links in Vista - Far Less Than Meets the Eye
  • From: Mark Kent <mark.kent@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 21:20:14 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
begin  oe_protect.scr
> Vista Symlinks Revisited...
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| Clearly, Vista's symlink API isn't complete -- hopefully this issomething
>| that can be patched via a hotfix and that we don't have to wait for
>| Fiji to get something as simple as UNC support built in.
>|
>| In short, Vista's symlinks don't really exist. They pretend to be
>| there for the user of the local machine (not to say that isn't useful,
>| because it really is), and if another Vista PC out there somewhere
>| supports the proprietary symlink code used, it's capable of accessing
>| it too; but no more than that. If you plan on using Vista's symlink
>| features, you better be damn-well certain that all of your machines are
>| on Vista too - at all times. And if you?re in a corporate setting?
>| Don't even think about it.
> `----
>
> http://neosmart.net/blog/archives/285

Trying to emulate filesystem features at the shell level doesn't really
work.  You'd've thought that Microsoft would've worked this out by now.
Perhaps they're spending too much time creating worthless patents and
not enough time studying computers?

How many Bavarian Illuminati does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

Three: one to screw it in, and one to confuse the issue.