Re: [News] Multi-Core Processors Give Way to Open Source Software

Roy Schestowitz came up with this when s/he headbutted the keyboard a moment
ago in comp.os.linux.advocacy:

> Multi-Core Processors Challenging Traditional Software Pricing Models
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | However, Microsoft Corp. hasn't hopped on this train yet; it plans
> | to continue to charge per processor for software
> |
> | [...]
> |
> | Another strategy for CIOs, suggested Giera, would be to consider
> | using open-source software as an alternative to commercial software
> | during the transition period.
> `----
>
> http://biz.yahoo.com/seekingalpha/061009/18110_id.html?.v=1n

This confuses me. Do they charge per die, per core, what?
--
-*- Linux: Because restarts are for upgrades.
-*- Some people are like Slinkies; they serve no specific purpose,
   but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
-*- Linux Desktops & Clustering Solutions -*-          http://dotware.co.uk
-*- Registered Linux user #426308 -*-                 http://counter.li.org
-*- Microsoft XP is like a box of chocolates. You never know when the steel
   bolts are going to spring out and plunge straight through both cheeks...
-*- We now return you to your regularly scheduled broadcast.
-*- Contemplating Knife -*-           Which end do the bullets go in again?
-*- I can't wait to get to heaven and meet seventy virgins - I've yet to
   meet *one* on *Earth*!
-*- For sale: one (1) Fender Phantom air guitar. Â500 ONO
-*- For sale: one (1) Italian WWII bolt-action rifle. .303cal, never fired,
   only dropped once. Offers.
-*- Hit every key to continue.
-*- "What sort of candle is this?" "Dee-nah-meetay. Must be Italian."
-*- That's it. No more coffee for *that* man!