Re: [News] Wall Street Organ Replaced by GNU/Linux Cluster

__/ [ GreyCloud ] on Saturday 07 October 2006 23:42 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> __/ [ GreyCloud ] on Saturday 07 October 2006 19:28 \__

>>>Found a different manufacturer...
>>>
>>>http://www.johannus.com/wm.cgi?type=content&lng=USA&id=383&main=93
>>>
>>>There are two mp3 formats.  Do these work okay?
>>>
>>>Note that these are digital as well.
>>

>> Rendered very well in Konqueror and sounds great!! Indistinguishable from
>> the real thing, but I bet some people stick to pipes for the same reason
>> records 'sound' better on an old gramophone. Nostalgia and music
>> (especially classical) are interwined. It's about tickling the mind and
>> sometiems bring back memories. A little bit like the habit of collecting
>> wine... *smile*
>
> Times are a changin'.

Yes, I know. He passed away last year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Moog

> There used to be several electronic organ vendors during the 50s to 70s
> era, but only a couple have survived that I know of.  The reason given
> to me by Allen Organ company was that the asian market forced many to
> close up shop.  So now it is only the top of the line instruments that
> are left that a synthesizer cannot compete against.  And even these have
> MIDI interfaces built in for special effects.  Classical music will
> always be around, and a nice classical instrument will always be made
> available.  Not for your average joe tho.  I was raised playing pipe
> organs so I know where the industry was and is now at.  A lot of people
> never have heard a pipe organ concert in person, especially the old
> Wurlitzer theater organs.  I think Wurlitzer quite making them in 1947.
>   Their specialty was the silent film era, and then when "talkies" came
> out the demand declined.  Now these beasts are restored and are found
> mostly in private residences.  I know one in Coos Bay, Oregon that is
> just sitting there rotting away.
> Anyway, the digital organ report interested me.  Makes one wonder if an
> o/s is needed or not in these machines.  Hope not, as I'd rather not
> have to wait to boot up an organ.  :-))

The idea of kernel panic seems scary. I had this rare bug in SUSE where the
volume would shoot through to the roof and some awkward random sound be
spewed out. It probably startled the neighbours. This only happened a couple
of times in about a year, ever since I installed Opensuse 9.3. It wasn't
funny the first time. I may have missed a heartbeat. *smile*

I listened to a grand pipe organ only once. I can still recall it very well
(it was about 10 years ago) because it was quite enjoyable and definitely
memorable. A friend of mine is doing a lot of synthesiser work with CuBase,
among other programs. But it's nothing like the real thing; not even with a
pricey sound card. He was very impressed by Linux sound when I introduced
him to that platform last year (Ubuntu, then Mandriva 2006).

Sorry, I was just drifting to random thoughts and rambled...