[News] Windows Live Distorts Reality?

Windows Live - A Case of Reality Distortion?

,----[ Quote ]
| Some commentators have taken Microsoft's entry in to the Web 2.0 world
| as a reason for spreading doom and gloom and predicting the annihilation
| of small, innovative developers
`----

http://ekive.blogspot.com/2006/10/windows-live-case-of-reality.html

Other fairly recent cases of reality distortion by Microsoft:

A new Microsoft-commissioned anti-Linux study debuts

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft seemingly has backed off from trumpeting its "Get the
| Facts" studies, as of late. But that doesn't mean the company has
| ceased commissioning research outfits to perform its anti-Linux dirty
| work.
|
| On September 25, Mercer Management Consulting released a new
| Microsoft-backed study. The study is entitled "Driving Lower TCO and
| Rapid ROI through UNIX Migrations." The synopsis: "Microsoft Windows
| the preferred choice for UNIX migration when IT organizations migrate
| servers as part of a focused effort to improve business processes,
| deploy critical applications or restructure their IT architecture."
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/index.php?p=12

Microsoft Traps and Hunts for Bloggers in India !!

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://i5bala.blogspot.com/2006/10/microsoft-traps-and-hunts-for-bloggers.html

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.roughlydrafted.com/RD/Home/9F60D74A-0E27-4F5F-B88D-835974628809.html

,----[ Quote ]
|     "Some years back, Microsoft practiced a lot of dirty tricks using
| online mavens to go into forums and create Web sites extolling the virtues
| of Windows over OS/2. They were dubbed the Microsoft Munchkins, and it
| was obvious who they were and what they were up to. But their numbers
| and energy (and they way they joined forces with nonaligned dummies who
| liked to pile on) proved too much for IBM marketers, and Windows wont
| he operating-system war through fifth-column tactics"
|
|     Mr Dvorak wonders if Microsoft is today using reverse-dirty-tricks
| to promote the Xbox 360: pay people to create Web sites that slam the
| gaming computer in order to provoke a barrage of defenders.
`----

http://worldcadaccess.typepad.com/gizmos/2005/11/2_grassroots_an.html

Notable examples of viral marketing

,----[ Quote ]
| # ilovebees.com - viral marketing for Halo 2
| # Hotmail, promoted largely by links at the bottoms of emails sent by
| its users, is the classic viral marketing example
| # Microsoft's Origami Project campaign
| # Microsoft's Xbox 360 campaign, called OurColony
`----

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viral_marketing

Recent examples

,----[ Quote ]
| In 2001, the Los Angeles Times accused Microsoft of astroturfing
| when hundreds of similar letters were sent to newspapers voicing
| disagreement with the United States Department of Justice and its
| antitrust suit against Microsoft. The letters, prepared by Americans
| for Technology Leadership, had in some cases been mailed from
| deceased citizens or nonexistent addresses.
`----

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astroturfing

Halloween V: The FUD Begins

http://www.catb.org/~esr/halloween/halloween5.html

Bill Gates lends cash to buy newspapers

$350 million to MediaNews

,----[ Quote ]
| Gates involvement has been very behind the scenes. In fact many of
| those involved in the deal didn'teven know he was one of the investors.
| It was carried out through the Gates Foundation, the world's largest
| philanthropy outfit.

A new Microsoft-commissioned anti-Linux study debuts

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft seemingly has backed off from trumpeting its "Get the
| Facts" studies, as of late. But that doesn't mean the company has
| ceased commissioning research outfits to perform its anti-Linux dirty
| work.
|
| On September 25, Mercer Management Consulting released a new
| Microsoft-backed study. The study is entitled "Driving Lower TCO and
| Rapid ROI through UNIX Migrations." The synopsis: "Microsoft Windows
| the preferred choice for UNIX migration when IT organizations migrate
| servers as part of a focused effort to improve business processes,
| deploy critical applications or restructure their IT architecture."
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/index.php?p=12

IDC pronounces Linux unimportant to European economy

,----[ Quote ]
| A recent IDC white paper on the economic impact of Microsoft's super
| soaraway new Vista operating system seems to be lacking one crucial
| ingredient -- other operating systems.

What Microsoft has that Linux doesn't

,----[ Summary ]
| Overall, I was unimpressed by the Microsoft Across America truck I saw.
| But the fact is, there are seven of those trucks out there, and there are
| no equivalent GNU/Linux displays coming to my town (or yours) in the
| near future. And until there are, we must accept the fact that Microsoft
| will continue to be more popular than Linux -- at least among people who
| are swayed by marketing presence more than by technical prowess.
`----

http://trends.newsforge.com/trends/06/08/10/1350216.shtml?tid=148&tid=20&tid=11

http://youtube.com/watch?v=fj3FOHc-fgA

        ("Steve Ballmer: Advertisers, Advertisers, Advertisers")

ToorCon ("Firefox security is a mess") sponsored by Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| Lately, I read the headline: "Open Source browser Firefox is so
| critically flawed that it is impossible to fix, according to two
| hackers." Further on, in the ZDNet article I read: "The hackers claim
| they know of about 30 unpatched Firefox flaws. They don't plan to
| disclose them, instead holding onto the bugs."
|
| Since that sounds suspicious, I decided to start searching for
| connections with MS. Easy enough, here it is...

Windows Live Search Vanishes

,----[ Quote ]
| A visit to search.live.com only returns a "Service unavailable message,"
| and the link to Search Only from Live.com delivers a very
| pedestrian-looking search form. Search results look about the same as
| those on MSN Search.
`----

http://www.webpronews.com/insiderreports/searchinsider/wpn-49-20060901WindowsLiveSearchVanishes.html

Microsoft to Unveil New Search Engine

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft to Unveil Updated Search Engine 'Live Search' in Latest Move
| to Compete With Rivals
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/060911/microsoft_search.html?.v=4

Another example of rebranding. Just like Longhorn/Vista.