Re: [News] UK Businesses Use Windows, Get Spied On

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Friday 06 October 2006 08:29 \__

> begin  oe_protect.scr
>> Spyware threat is growing claims PCWB
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| One in two UK businesses have been affected by spyware while 14 per
>>| cent admitted they were unaware of spyware and its effects, according
>>| to research published today by PC World Business (PCWB).
>>|
>>| [...]
>>|
>>| "We're more worried about the 54 per cent of businesses that report no
>>| affect." "The nature of spyware is that it is mostly invisible and it
>
> effect, not affect ... don't these folk have an editor?

Well, a second pair of eyes could easily overlook this. And spellchecker
won;t help. To be fair, all those isolated typos are no big deal and I have
heaps of them in my message.s For example, earlier today/tonight (I didn't
sleep last night) I typed "advice" as a verb. I don't consider typos to be
an issue, but they expose people to criticism (doubt of wits) nonetheless.

>>| is likely that many thousands of UK businesses are being impacted
>>| by malicious software without any knowledge of it"
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.itweek.co.uk/crn/news/2165658/spyware-threat-growing-claims
>
> I don't think the threat has changed significantly in years, it's always
> been very high indeed.  I do think that there's an opportunity for linux
> desktop suppliers to offer something which is reasonably malware proof,
> about 100,000 times safer, in fact.

There are quite a few stories about companies that plant or take advantage of
existing spyware on competitor's machines. It is a real threat that can lead
to the demise of companies. That's what BI is all about. And to many,
malware means business.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "I blame God for making me an atheist"
roy      pts/7                         Thu Oct  5 03:31 - 03:33  (00:01)