Re: [News] Analysing a Linux Switch

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Friday 06 October 2006 08:16 \__

> begin  oe_protect.scr
>> My Linux Switch Story
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| If you use Linux, you'll probably find a distro that suit your needs.
>>| You have to have an open mind about it, though. Linux, like Mac, is not
>>| Windows. I'm not a computer expert. I'm not a programmer. I was an
>>| English major. And I'm a long-time Windows user--we're talking decades
>>| here. I simply am not dumb, and I'm willing to try new things. If you
>>| have that attitude, Linux can do wonders for you, too.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.psychocats.net/essays/linuxswitchstory
>
> For people who really are not inclined to learn how to use linux,
> they'll not be inclined to learn how to use any PC, I suspect.  They'll
> be better off with some kind of appliance, like the PS3, which has it
> all built-in, or a web tablet like the N770, say.
>
> For those people who are prepared to put a little effort into learning
> things, then linux is fine.

I beg to differ. In a perfect world without lockins and prior skills
(acquired thanks to willful piracy), the reality is altogether changed.

Pople don't need a degree to use a PC. That is exactly why they needn't
memorise names of companies and Web sites that provide them with various
pieces of software, as well as be aware of so many Internet threats, ways of
avoiding them, and ways of fixing a comouter system. For that purpose, for
people who are new to a PC there are distros like PCLinuxOS and Ubuntu
(among others). All the software is there in the repository, there is plenty
of it, it's well organised and it's secure (predictable). Lastly, it doesn't
require any knowledge that's going beyond the basics. Support from others
might be the only peril, but it's never fair to judge a product by that
criterion. it's chicken-and-egg, as well as a zmatter of inertia.

--
Roy S. Schestowitz      | Windows leaves me peckish
         run-level 5  Sep 28 23:16                   last=S