Re: Vista gonna destroy computers?

  • Subject: Re: Vista gonna destroy computers?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2006 01:52:45 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ The Ghost In The Machine ] on Friday 06 October 2006 00:00 \__

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Handover Phist
> <jason@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>  wrote
> on Thu, 05 Oct 2006 21:36:38 GMT
> <slrneiaulm.5bs.jason@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> hym3n_h0l0c4$t@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx :
>>> Just saw a newsbite on the elevator telly claiming that Vista will be
>>> doing permanent damage to non-licensed computers.
>>>
>>> If even possible, I can't help but think this is a bad idea:   What
>>> happens
>>> for inadvertant copyright violators?    What about "false positives"?
>>>
>>> I'm dying to see how this one pans out.
>>
>> That cant be right. Even MS knows they dont have rights to the hardware,
>> just the software.
>
> Why would they want such? :-)  Hardware is a lower-margin business.

...Wasn't there some issue with IBM over a decade ago? Rex happened to have
mentioned damage at hardware-level, which by the way is possible. Whether
it's a possibility /here/ I very much doubt it. The compensation/lawsuits
over other hardware, e.g. XBox 360, were suffieciently damaging. They even
encourages Microsoft to *gasp* merge a few divisions for financial purposes
(reports), as means of hiding/mitigating the scale of failure and keep up
appearances for that next press/investor's conference.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Coffee makes mw to0 jittery
         run-level 5  Sep 28 23:16                   last=S