Re: USB 1.0

  • Subject: Re: USB 1.0
  • From: Hadron Quark <qadronhuark@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2006 16:28:08 +0200
  • Cancel-lock: sha1:c1QsW9YuXt9cbz7/FLbcbA1bDmU=
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> __/ [ BearItAll ] on Wednesday 04 October 2006 14:14 \__
>
>> Linonut wrote:
>>
>>> A hard-drive bit the dust at my wife's work yesterday.  The "computer
>>> guy" in her department was all but useless, and the official, paid, IT
>>> guy just gave my wife's colleague a new hard-drive.
>>>
>>> Her colleague was upset about losing data, so I volunteered to try to
>>> recover it.  Used an Insert CD and found the drive visible, mountable,
>>> and useable.
>>>
>>> No biggie, I'm sure Windows has recovery tools just as good on a 50 Mb
>>> CD.
>>>
>>> Anyway, on to the data copying.  Turned out to be about 70 Mb all told,
>>> to be copied to my wife's dongle.  Well, the actual sync of the data to
>>> dongle took about 1/2 hour!
>>>
>>> The only thing I could think of was that this old Pentium II machine had
>>> not USB 2.0, not USB 1.1, but USB 1.0.  Or maybe one of the memory
>>> sticks was also bad.  When I plugged the dongle into this machine to
>>> back up the data, the copy took about 1 minute.  Big difference.
>>>
>>> By the way, while monkeying with this stuff, I asked my wife if the guy
>>> tried Linux to see the drive.  She said no, and the guy said that Linux
>>> was used only by hardcore computer people.
>>>
>>> This, from an IT guy.  Mouse pusher!
>>
>> Now now, don't be unfair. He probably did a full four week course getting
>> his MSIECS...what ever it's called. Do you know you can become fully
>> quallified MS certified tech without ever having access to an MS/NT
>> machine? Then once you have it can apply for NT/MS support jobs and have
>> access to all of this valuable company data. I suspect that the first
>> question by the newly employed IT person who is introduced to his nice
>> clean computer room is 'Which one is the computer?'.
>

> I have had to pleasure to work with people who had obtained a "Microsoft
> certification". This generally reminds me of written tests taken prior

A bit like a University degree then? Lots of paperwork, plagiarising and
a few practicals. But as usual, its good to see you rubbishing other
peoples certifications. Didn't you also doubt the integrity of the
Harvard Business School Professor?

While an MSIECS or whatever might not be rocket science, it *is*
accreditation and indicates at least a moderate level of competence in
the relevant field.

> driving, rather than actual experience and practical lessons inside a
> vehicle. It also reminds me of people who learn how to use a program
> using a

Why does everything "remind" you of things?

> textbook (without a PC in arm's reach). The better way is to familiarise
> self through actual use, even if it means a guided set of steps that serve
> an induction (tutorial). Alas, this leaves you without a piece of
> paper to

Roy is now defining "tutorial" for us? Does his benevolence know no
bounds? Most technical subjects have a course compreising of written and
practical hands work. The written material is as important, if not more
so, as its less open to cheating and also, believe it or not, the
ability to document ones work is quite important. Not that a lot of OSS
programmers quite see that.

> prove your skills; no book on the shelf either. People want something

No book on the shelf wither? What on earth are you talking about?

> physical to serve as proof, but I find that ol' skool. Electronic
> records

Well fancy that. People wanting proof. What is the world coming to?

> take up virtually no space.

And a print out is still "physical". Duh.

--
Turn off engine while fueling.