Re: USB 1.0

  • Subject: Re: USB 1.0
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2006 14:41:40 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ BearItAll ] on Wednesday 04 October 2006 14:14 \__

> Linonut wrote:
>
>> A hard-drive bit the dust at my wife's work yesterday.  The "computer
>> guy" in her department was all but useless, and the official, paid, IT
>> guy just gave my wife's colleague a new hard-drive.
>>
>> Her colleague was upset about losing data, so I volunteered to try to
>> recover it.  Used an Insert CD and found the drive visible, mountable,
>> and useable.
>>
>> No biggie, I'm sure Windows has recovery tools just as good on a 50 Mb
>> CD.
>>
>> Anyway, on to the data copying.  Turned out to be about 70 Mb all told,
>> to be copied to my wife's dongle.  Well, the actual sync of the data to
>> dongle took about 1/2 hour!
>>
>> The only thing I could think of was that this old Pentium II machine had
>> not USB 2.0, not USB 1.1, but USB 1.0.  Or maybe one of the memory
>> sticks was also bad.  When I plugged the dongle into this machine to
>> back up the data, the copy took about 1 minute.  Big difference.
>>
>> By the way, while monkeying with this stuff, I asked my wife if the guy
>> tried Linux to see the drive.  She said no, and the guy said that Linux
>> was used only by hardcore computer people.
>>
>> This, from an IT guy.  Mouse pusher!
>
> Now now, don't be unfair. He probably did a full four week course getting
> his MSIECS...what ever it's called. Do you know you can become fully
> quallified MS certified tech without ever having access to an MS/NT
> machine? Then once you have it can apply for NT/MS support jobs and have
> access to all of this valuable company data. I suspect that the first
> question by the newly employed IT person who is introduced to his nice
> clean computer room is 'Which one is the computer?'.

I have had to pleasure to work with people who had obtained a "Microsoft
certification". This generally reminds me of written tests taken prior to
driving, rather than actual experience and practical lessons inside a
vehicle. It also reminds me of people who learn how to use a program using a
textbook (without a PC in arm's reach). The better way is to familiarise
self through actual use, even if it means a guided set of steps that serve
an induction (tutorial). Alas, this leaves you without a piece of paper to
prove your skills; no book on the shelf either. People want something
physical to serve as proof, but I find that ol' skool. Electronic records
take up virtually no space.

> I tried an external 300G Maxtor at home, shared via the server, that was on
> usb2.0 but it was deathly slow for very large files once the drive started
> towards about 50% full. But it does have firewire, I was saving my firewire
> because I'm forever pluging the camcorder into it, but I gave in and let
> the drive have it. Much better performance. ("Linux Maxtor Firewire HOWTO"
> is available, very easy to follow).
>
> The only part I am not sure of is why the Maxtor comes with two firewire
> ports. The Oracle site suggested that you could use both ports on different
> servers/clients at the same time. But I didn't see any confirmation on
> Maxtor's site so decided to ignore that.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Oops. My brain just hit a bad sector"
roy      pts/6                         Wed Oct  4 05:13 - 05:21  (00:08)