Re: State science department using Linux

  • Subject: Re: State science department using Linux
  • From: Mark Kent <mark.kent@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2006 19:29:20 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
begin  oe_protect.scr
Roy Culley <rgc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
> begin  risky.vbs
> 	<es14v3-plv.ln1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
> 	Mark Kent <mark.kent@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>> begin  oe_protect.scr
>> Roy Culley <rgc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
>>> begin  risky.vbs
>>> 	<71cqu3-ldc.ln1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,

>>> What digest? :-)
>>
>> Hehe - the one I don't send :-)
>
> That one. Wouldn't 'miss' it for the world. :-)
>
> I was just making a subtle point about the efficacy of a good
> killfile. Those who so loudly protest about Roy S's [News] posts are
> doing so not because they must see them but because they do annoy them
> so much. I mean, Linux advocacy in COLA! How dare he. Erik clearly
> reads all Roy's [News] posts as he pounces within minutes to 'correct'
> him. What a loser that guy is. :-)

This is the real reason why the trolls don't like them - they've got the
role of checking every single posting, in the hope that they can
"correct" things - like the degraded OpenGL which Vista is going to
offer, for example;  Peter K's posted the facts, which are precisely
what I'd've expected to see.  There must be such a lot of checking to
do.  Still, as there's now a handy (more or less) daily digest, they
just need to search that, which could be easier ;-)

> Its not unusual for me to see threads in the COLA stats for which I
> haven't seen a single article in my newsreader. Sadly, killfiles are a
> necessity on usenet these days. Has been for many years now.  Roughly
> from about the time Windows got networking and AOL became popular.

The net was never going to remain a techy playground, as the financial
potential was far too great, but it was fun whilst it was just techies,
wasn't it?  Bit like amateur radio, really...  now everyone's got a
mobile, but when I was a kid, speaking over the radio was the height of
excitement for a young male :-)

1 1 was a race-horse, 2 2 was 1 2. When 1 1 1 1 race, 2 2 1 1 2.