Re: SMB Linux Use on the Rise

  • Subject: Re: SMB Linux Use on the Rise
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 01 Oct 2006 19:23:22 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Roy Culley ] on Sunday 01 October 2006 17:57 \__

> begin  risky.vbs
> <efor2p$j43$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
> thad01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
>> Au79 <au79@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> Channel Insider - New York,NY,USA
>>>
>>> A growing number of the estimated 5.8 million small and midsize
>>> businesses in the United States are buying Linux solutions, mostly
>>> from solution providers ...
>>
>> Not a surprise to me... I see it all the time with my consulting
>> business and have even provided a few turnkey linux solutions to
>> SOHO businesses.  The enterprise customers are just the low hanging
>> fruit, small business penetration was inevitable.
>
> I was chatting with one of our HP-UX admins last week about Linux
> adoption at our company. It is advancing by leaps and bounds. He has
> never used Linux yet said that soon, within 2 or 3 years, most of the
> company's servers will be running Linux. He will be sent on a couple
> of Red Hat courses soon as that is a requirement from his boss.
>
> The desktop will follow. The savings to be gained are enormous.

They say that technologies and norms also changed as one generation retires
and another takes over. I once discussed this with a friend in the context
of books versus electronic-form content. I discussed this last week with an
Oxford professor, the context being paper-form publications without
hyperlinks (citation references) that are still seen as the one and only
currency in academia. The situation is similar in the context of computing.

Traditional folks near their retirement days would rather stick to that
Microsoft pamphlet and accept no 'risk factor'. But it's truly the technical
staff -- that which makes fewer or no decisions -- that can attest to and
assess better solutions, based on in-field experience, rather than marketing
buzz and commissioned studies with bogus pies and barcharts.