Re: SUSE does not recognize audio card

  • Subject: Re: SUSE does not recognize audio card
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 01 Oct 2006 18:38:58 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
__/ [ Prof. Filipe ] on Saturday 30 September 2006 22:53 \__

>> > a reabilited my on bord card, which is
>> > 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller. Now it appears
>> > on the sound configuration window but SUSE doesn't configure it,
>
>> Purchase a PCI sound card that works with SUSE. Disable the onboard
>> sound in the BIOS. I don't know where you live (although I recognize
>> your name from your posting in the MS newsgroup), but a basic sound
>> card costs under $20USD so this is a very inexpensive thing to do.
>> Check on the SUSE hardware compatibility list first.
>
> Thabks Malke,. Yes, I shall by a new card. But in the while, I would
> like to use at least the onbord card. Since YAST control center has
> this card listed, why it does not configure it ? May be there is
> something missing in my LINUX. By the way, I am from Brazil, Rio de
> Janeiro. Thanks, Filipe.

Hi,

When the hardware is probed, general information (identity, version, etc.) is
sent to your computer, but it does not guarantee that drivers are included.
As Malke has given you some excellent advice already, I will only add that
once you buy Linux-friendly (as opposed to Windows-oriented or
Linux-hostile) hardware, then you're good to go, for good. Just make sure
that the next computer you buy (somewhere along the line) is either shown to
be 'Linux ready' or has Linux preinstalled. Linux affinity will save you a
lot of hassle. I speak from experience here...

The cost we pay for a long-term improvement is a short-term and relatively
inexpensive compromise. And it's typical in many transitions where being
overly stubborn can be fruitful, but very arduous.

With kind regards,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Hack to learn, don't learn to hack"