Re: [News] Booting a Wealth of Platforms -- Task Simplified

On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 09:36:58 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Boot Linux, BSD, and OS X from Vista
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| "NeoSmart Technologies has just released EasyBCD 1.5, complete
>| with support for Vista, Windows NT/2k/XP, and Windows 9x/ME.
>| EasyBCD 1.5 adds experimental support for dual-booting any of
>| these along with Linux, Mac OS X, or BSD -- straight from the Windows
>| Vista bootloader without any additional configuration needed!"
>|
>| From the article:
>|
>| "Windows Vista's new bootmanager is a double-edged sword. It's one
>| of the most powerful booting scripts in existence, and a far cry from
>| the very limiting boot.ini of legacy Windows operating systems. But
>| it overwrites the MBR without a second thought, and doesn't provide
>| any means for users of alternate operating systems and boot managers
>| to use their old system. That's where EasyBCD 1.5 comes in!" EasyBCD
>| 1.5 is free.
> `----
>
> http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/10/16/1935206&from=rss
>
> ./ cited because the site is down (bandwidth quote exceeded/suspended for
> /.). I happen to know the developer and it's nice to have something to
> mitigate the arrogance of Redmondians.

The arrogance of Redmondians?  Your own source says it's "one of the most
powerful booting scripts in existence", and you can't do anything but pile
scorn.

> Vista scoots to new boot, but it's still kinda rooted
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| While Microsoft would like the world to believe that anyone running Windows
>| has no need of any other operating system, that attitude doesn't cut much
>| mustard with many of its users.
>|
>| Why settle for one OS when your PC is easily capable of running two or
>| more?
>|
>| [...]
>|
>| One of the more questionable tactics that Microsoft has implemented in
>| Vista is to automatically overwrite any existing MBR during the
>| installation process without asking if you mind or giving you an option
>| to back up.
> `----
>
> http://www.apcstart.com/site/akidman/2006/09/1656/vista-scoots-to-new-boot-but-its-still-kinda-rooted

And yet, EasyBCD gives you full control of booting your Linux system from
Microsoft's boot manager.